Tuesday 15 May 2012

Narrative Through Sound

As we are nearing the end of our first academic year, I have been considering possible ideas to draw a close to the personal and professional practice module. As part of our brief, we must produce a presentation using an appropriate form of media. Reflecting on my 'PPP' posts, my main interests lie in narrative and immersive gameplay. I am currently playing the game 'Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery' which I discovered when undergoing research for my game art essentials module. The game relies heavily on rich stereo sounds to create a gripping audiovisual experience. To show my understanding of new practices emerging in game, I wish to produce a Unity level which relies on audio to set the scene. I want to emphasize the importance of emerging the player in to a rich environment in modern gaming. There is this connection with film where game visual and audio narrative is becoming equally as important. For my game level, I plan to decide on a setting and go through the concept process. I will create concept art to capture the intended mood of my environment, along with a floor plan. The level itself will be minimalistic, the focus being almost entirely on sound. Hopefully, despite a lack of visuals, the player will be able to imagine the setting and become immersed in the level. My initial idea is to create a creepy boiler room. In my mind I am picturing the station of the 'Tower of Terror' ride at Disneyland florida. You queue through the boiler room at ground level before being seated in the the elevator in which the ride takes place. The eeriness of the disused boiler room really builds suspense, which I hope to capture in my level.


No comments:

Post a Comment